Sunday, February 4, 2018

Self-Awareness - Know Yourself

For the next couple of weeks we will be focusing on the character trait of self-awareness.  Parents, you can help your kids talk about this character trait. This is the message I will share with students.  - Mr. Webster

Like other important character traits, self-awareness helps us be successful in school and in life. 

Self-awareness is like a mirror in which you see your own strengths and weaknesses.  You know your passions, your likes, and dislikes.  You are able to see how you affect others around you.

All of us have strengths.  None of us is perfect.  To be your best, you need to know what you are best at and be able to work around the things that you are not so good at. Those are also specific areas you can work hard on improving. 

I have some strengths, but I also know that I have a couple weaknesses.  One of those is that I get nervous and forget things in front of big groups of people.  Because I know this about myself, I’m careful to write things down that I want to be sure not to forget.  Like some of you, one of my other weaknesses is that I can easily get distracted when I should be getting work done.  I take steps to work around this weakness.  I make lists of what I need to do and I set time goals to get them done (yes, I use a timer).  Sometimes I hide to get work done where there are no distractions.  Sometimes I stand up to work, as that helps me focus if I can stand up and move a little. 

That is self-awareness.  Get to know yourself.  Like me, I’ll bet you’re not perfect.  However, I’ll bet you’ll find out you really like who you are. 

Knowing yourself helps you to be your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment